3 Simple tips for reducing your lighting costs..


FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

I love the feeling of watching the sun set on the horizon and basking in the glory of the natural light. But what’s a Mom to do once the  the sun goes down?  We turn on our lights and get the rest of our household chores done!

We would be in the dark, so to speak, without the fabulous invention of lightbulbs. We do have alternatives such as  making candles from scratch or hovering around a campfires, but who has time in their busy lives for tat?  Our lives would be very different if not for the invention of the incandescent light bulb from Thomas Edison in 1879. The invention forever changed our lives, however,  10 percent of the energy they consume goes towards light while the other 90 percent is actually heat. Who knew?  Why else to do you thing easy bake ovens (0lder models) worked on incandescent bulbs? Of course they now have a heating element in the new toy classic.

More than 20 percent of the energy used nationwide goes for lighting according to NRDC (National Resources Defense Council) .  What can we do about it?

  • Replace your old bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), which use about a quarter of the energy of incandescent bulbs
  • Or replace your old bulbs with light emitting diode (LED) bulbs, which have come a long way and are green and energy efficient
  • Set up reminders around the house to “turn off lights when not in use”

Our household rule:

If you are not in the room, why are we paying for it? Set up “pay if forward” jars around the house for your kids to contribute a quarter every time  they turn out the lights or other electronic devices in their rooms. Once they get enough money in their “energy efficiency” jar to purchase something they have been coveting, they will certainly be more Eco-conscious of where their household dollars go!

Filed under EcoSavvyMoms Blog · Tagged with

Written By :

Amy Sorter is the co-founder of EcoSavvyMoms.com. She spent 10 years in marketing and sales for Fortune 500 companies before deciding to dust off her Journalism degree and try to do something that makes a difference in the World. She is a mother, animal rights activist and is passionate about preserving our environment.       From an early age my mother taught me about living green. She... Read More

has written 48 articles

Comments

Join The

"Being Green" Newsletter

Loading...Loading...